Steps to work at Chef's Kitchens

We want you to get started as quick as possible, so we've created a step-by-step guide on what's needed to work at Chef's Kitchens. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us. 

Step 1:

Wait List Application

Submit your wait list application online. We currently are fully booked and do not have any openings.

Waiting List?

Based on demand, our five kitchens fluctuate from hourly to exclusive kitchen rentals. As tenant’s businesses flourish they require more hours and eventually take over an entire kitchen. When multiple tenants take over entire kitchens there is less room for hourly rentals. Occasionally a single tenant can take multiple kitchens!

We like to think about our kitchens as incubator space, and work with you as long as our facilities are suitable for your needs. That being said, we’ve had over a hundred companies outgrow and graduate from our facilities. You most likely have had products from companies that have started in our kitchens.

Step 2: 

Submit Documents

  • ServSafe

  • Insurance

ServSafe (Food Handler's) Certificate

Safe Food: 1-323-238-0248
AAA Food Handler: 1-877-222-3487
Food Safety: 1-800-232-1917
Los Angeles Business License: 1-213-473-4901
State board of Equalization: 1-800-400-7115

Los Angeles County Health Department requires that you have a food handler's certificate (also known as ServSafe). This will ensure you are following the Los Angeles County Health Department regulations when you are preparing your food. There are many half-day courses given on a regular basis to become a Certified Food Handler. Please take a look on the left under "quick numbers" for schools that provide training. You can also find a location near you that does training on ServSafe's website.

The main point of contact at your company needs to have the Certified Food Protection Manager's certificate. This can be taken online and costs $125:

Any other person working in the kitchen must have completed the Food Handler's course, which can be taken online for $15:


We require all tenants to have general liability insurance. No matter if you are renting the kitchens for one hour or one month, you must have it. It covers our facility and equipment, as well as your products from any damage caused by our facility. You are responsible for the insurance, and most home and car insurance companies offer some kind of general liability insurance. Your policy needs to list us as an “additionally insured” property owner.

If you need insurance, which is required for working in our kitchens, we have 2 agents who have been helpful to other members of Chef’s Kitchens in obtaining reasonably priced business insurance policies:

Brian K. Arteaga, Vice President

EIS Insurance Services, (714) 773-4000

Joan Schiewe

Grosslight Insurance Inc., (310) 689-5349

Step 3:

Shared Kitchen Application (LA County Health Department)

As of October, 2016 the LA County Health Department now requires an application to be a tenant in a shared kitchen complex. 

The application fee $157 and is made out to the County of Los Angeles. In addition, there is a $48/quarter or $130/year permit fee for operation in a "Shared Kitchen Complex." More information on the Kitchen Complex Tenant Codes below.

We will assist you in submitting the application and fees to the health department. 

Step 4:

Security Deposit

Pay your security deposit to begin booking your days and times.

Your Security Deposit will be either $500 or $1000 depending on how often you use the kitchen (see prices page). Once your Security Deposit is paid (it can be paid on-line or by mail) you will be able to book your times with our Kitchen Manager. For those who use the kitchens infrequently, their security deposits always insure them the opportunity to book kitchens when the need arises. If you will no longer be using Chef’s Kitchens your deposit will be returned.

Step 5:


We'll work with you to find the best time slots. You'll be in contact with our Kitchen Manger, Sarah Cawley, to schedule your time. 

Additional Business Information

Minimum Commitment 

Once you begin at Chef’s Kitchens we require a minimum commitment of 3 months at 16 hours per month (or as little as 4 hours per week).  Failure to follow through on this minimum commitment will result in forfeiture of your security deposit


Depending on how long you plan on renting the kitchens, first and last month’s rent are due before you can begin. For one-time use rentals the full amount is due before you can start. To determine what kind of category your rental will fit into, please read the prices page. You must pay for your kitchen rental hours when you book your time. 

To Sell Your Product:

While not required to be a member of Chef's Kitchens, you'll need to have a business license and seller's permit to sell your product.

A Business License

To become a "Business" you need to call the County of Los Angeles and apply for a business license at (213) 473-5901. If you go directly into the office, address listed below, you can get your license while you wait.  You can apply on-line or by mail but it may take several weeks to months for your application to be processed. It is also much faster to apply for your business license in person at their office at: 201 North Main Street, Room 101, Los Angeles, 90012. You do not need a business license if you are just testing or developing your product, but you need one when you sell your product.

Seller's Permit

You need to contact the State Board of Equalization get a Seller's Permit. Their number is: 1-800-400-7115. Press 1, 3, 2, 1 and then 4 to speak to a real person. You can also show up in person at the Culver City office at: 5901 Green Valley Circle, Culver City, 90230, and phone number (310) 342-1000.

You may also operate your business under a name that is different from yours. In this case, you'll need to get a "Fictitious Business Name" known as a DBA (Doing Business As). Make sure nobody in Los Angeles has your business name, click here to check on their website. You can also call them at 1-800-201-8999 and press 4. You can fill out an application online and then mail it to them by clicking here. Fictitious Business Names cost $23 to file.

As a permanent, 60+ hour tenant:

Once you move in for 60 hours per month or more expect the following:


You will receive a storage rack or designated area for your equipment and supplies. You can leave your stuff at the kitchen until your next scheduled time.

Cold Storage

Depending on what kind of product you make, you will be allocated refrigerator and freezer space. We have many 2, 3 and 4 door refrigerator and freezers, as well as a walk-in refrigerator and freezer.


All 60+ hour tenants will receive a personal United States Postal Service mailbox where they can receive mail at our address. You can use this as your business address, and this will also be your commercial kitchen address you give out to companies you sell your product at (such as the Farmer's Markets).


We provide lockers to hold your clothing and personal belongings while working in our kitchens. Tenants will provide their own locks.

Health Department

Once you reach the 60+ tier, you will sign a "Shared Agreement" form and will be sharing the existing Health Department License. You can then use this license number to validate your food products and give it to retailers who require a commercial kitchen that is health department licensed. 

You will not need to contact the Health Department directly; this will be organized for you, as well as an on-premise meeting with the inspector.